The Marine and Coastal Communicators of the Year Awards are hosted under the auspices of SANCOR. These annual awards are linked to National Marine Week activities.
The following criteria apply:
1. The awards shall be made for outstanding contributions towards making the marine and coastal environment accessible to the public at large via different media at different levels.
2. A broad definition of communication will be used, e.g. public talks, popular articles, books, videos, hands-on education, education projects etc. Awards will be given for different categories. The categories are:
- Professional (journalists, environmental educators, etc)
- Amateur (members of public, volunteers, etc)
3. The awards will be based on the nominees' activities within the last five years.
4. Nominations for nominees will be invited. The proposers should submit a motivation (1-2 pages) in support of their nomination. A detailed Curriculum Vitae of the nominee and examples of resource materials produced by the nominee, where practical, should accompany the motivation.
5. All nominees will be assessed by an Awards Committee of five persons. One representative each of the Marine and Coastal Educators Network, Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism, National Research Foundation and the SANCOR Steering Committee, and one other person involved in marine and coastal communication will form the Awards Committee from which a chairperson shall be elected.
6. The Awards Committee shall be appointed for one awards period only, however two members of the previous committee will carry over.
7. The Awards Committee shall meet to conduct its business. Upon reaching a decision, the Awards Committee shall submit its nominee for each category of the awards for that year, submit more than one name for each category if it finds difficulty in reaching a decision, or recommend that no award be awarded in any of the three categories.
8. No awardee shall be able to receive the award consecutively, however nominees will be able to enter consecutively up to a period of 10 years.
Call for nominations for 2000
Ms Reneé Le Roux
SANCOR secretariat, Private Bag X2, Rogge Bay, 8012
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Telefax: 021 402 3172
Closing date for nominations: 30 June 2000